Friday, May 21, 2010

Running with Patience?




When I was in high school, I ran cross country. It was the first time in my life that I was actually good at a team sport. (Probably because this one didn't involve any balls... Also, it was a place for my skinny legs to excel for once!!) Anyway, I loved it! It was a lot of hard work, a lot of hours, a lot of early mornings, and a lot of--yep--sweat. It was also a lot of peace, endurance, and friendship-building :)

Besides building friendships and fitness, this sport was wonderful for my mind. It helped me realize how important our thoughts are for success. In a race if I started thinking negative thoughts, running became harder and I ran slower. If I kept a peaceful, positive, focused attitude I could do amazingly more than I expected. Something interesting about cross-country is that you have to pace yourself. If you run too fast at first, you run out of energy before the end. You have to control yourself and know yourself so that you do your best, but don't do more than you can handle.

I've never run a marathon, but I assume it's the same but even more so. Patience, steadiness, and a peaceful mind win the race. I think life is a lot like that. Just continuing forward and finishing something long and trying brings joy and satisfaction. All of this links to...the scripture below!

1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
(Hebrews 12:1-4)

Life is a long race, but our Savior has already run it and can help us and cheer us along the way. Though it's long, we can run it with friends :) We can also enjoy getting stronger, gaining control of our thoughts, and seeing all of the beautiful and changing scenery as we pass along.

Does anyone have any thoughts to add?

Thanks!

PS - This is a photo of me and some of my friends from my high school cross-country team! As you'll notice, I didn't win a medal but that's ok--in the race of life everyone who finishes the race well will be happy and rewarded :)

No comments:

Post a Comment