Friday, April 24, 2009

Some Inspiring Messages



Happy spring everyone! As I walk about,my senses are filled up with blossoms--sight and smell and sometimes even touch. It is lovely--it makes one have to stop and breath in deeply and fully--aah! I love spring and fall for all of their dynamic changes; they are so exciting and curious to me :) There's another interesting thing brought about by spring: graduation. Yesterday, I had the opportunity to attend the commencement exercises here at BYU and the experience was very inspiring (especially as it will likely be me in cap and gown this time next year).

Our key speakers were both general authorities of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The first was Elder Russel M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and the second was President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counseler in the Church's First Presidency. Both of their messages were excellent. One of the strongest messages I took from Elder Nelson was the fact that our educations and careers do not define us--they are means to an end rather than ends in and of themselves. Our purpose here is to become better--to become who God wants us to be. We are not lawyers, doctors, janitors, or chefs: we are children of God. Our educations and careers can help us to grow and learn but they should never become our only focus. I thought this was good advice when so many seem to define themselves now by degrees and careers. My friend brought up an interesting point to tie to this. We are in a history class together called "Freedom and Rhetoric" that focuses on history from the Reformation to the present time, looking specifically at the ways in which the concept of freedom has been fought for and expressed through words. Anyway, we recently studied Jane Austen's "Persuasion" and saw different photographs of places she had been in her life. One photograph we saw was of her grave at Winchester Cathedral in England. The memorial, placed by her brothers (she never married or had children), read something to the effect of her being a loving, kind, and devoted sister and friend. Our professor pointed out that nothing was mentioned about Jane's writing. After class, however, my friend noted to me that he would never want someone to write on his grave, "Here lies a man who did much research in mathematics and physics." He would want to be remembered as a loving husband and father. As he pointed that out, I realized he was right. What really matters when we die? What is most fulfilling? Though our deeds may be great, what matters most is our connections to others, our interactions with our fellows, our relationships with our family, and our closeness to God. This reminds me again of the Savior's teaching on the greatest commandments: to love God and love our neighbors (Matt. 22:36-40). We should always be living our lives to fulfill these commandments, whether that life be as a musician, mother, writer, or mixture of all three.

Another thing that I really enjoyed was something President Uchtdorf said. He stated, "We must be willng to work hard--this is what brings opportunities." He then spoke on how using time wisely, continuing to learn, and being worthy to have God's Spirit with us are some important keys to living effectively and successfully. I felt the truth of his words and a desire to use my time better and to be willing to work hard. I think the word "willing" is key. Work is only as awful or as wonderful as we think it is. I want to choose to recognize that I feel better about myself and more fulfilled when I work hard, though it may be difficult at times. Speaking of that, it's time for me to go to work! I'll just end this thought with a scripture from the Book of Mormon and then a little caveat from Paul and one from King Benjamin.

"Yea, I would that ye would come forth and harden not your hearts any longer; for behold, now is the time and the day of your salvation; and therefore, if ye will repent and harden not your hearts, immediately shall the great plan of redemption be brought about unto you.
For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors." - Alma 34:31-32

"...Let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." - Hebrews 12: 1-2

"And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order." - Mosiah 4:27

Okeedok! I hope that wasn't too rambling and that you can glean some bits of pearl from my long speech. Have lovely days!

Love, Sierra

PS- This photograph is the official photo of the First Presidency of the Church. The man sitting is God's current prophet, Thomas S. Monson. The taller man standing is his first counseler, Henry B. Eyring, and the other is Dieter F. Uchtdorf. If you are curious about what the First Presidency is, here is a little news article: http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/church-releases-new-official-portrait-of-first-presidency

PPS- I found Jane Austen's actual epitaph! Here it is for all who are interested:

In memory of
JANE AUSTEN,
youngest daughter of the late
Revd. GEORGE AUSTEN,
formerly Rector of Steventon in this County.
She departed this Life on the 18th July 1817,
aged 41, after a long illness supported with
the patience and the hopes of a Christian.

The benevolence of her heart,
the sweetness of her temper, and
the extraordinary endowments of her mind
obtained the regard of all who knew her, and
the warmest love of her intimate connections.

Their grief is in proportion to their affection
they know their loss to be irreparable,
but in the deepest affliction they are consoled
by a firm though humble hope that her charity,
devotion, faith and purity have rendered
her soul acceptable in the sight of her
REDEEMER.

2 comments:

  1. =) I remember when we talked about this!!! yes, it's true, our careers do not define who we are. We are children of God, that's who we are. I have a little story. Last night I was planning to go to one of my friend's wedding reception in Bountiful. However, on the way there I was slowed down by a snow storm (I saw several car wrecks on the way there). I was so late, that I decided not to go, plus it was too dangerous, so I decided to spend the night at my brother's house, who lives with his family in Salt Lake City. I was woken up the next morming by my little niece and nephew who wanted to play with me. When I saw their smiles, I realized that children are so pure and that they find great joy in simple things. That made me think of how wonderful it is that we are all children of God =)

    Pedro

    ps-I would like to be remembered as a loving husband and father indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps2- I'm sorry it only took me 8 months to comment on this post =)

    ReplyDelete