Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Merry Heart


"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones." (Proverbs 17:22)

I love remembering this! I've found it to be so true :) I think it works especially well when we try to keep a positive attitude for the sake of someone we love. My grandmother, Theresa, has done an amazing job of this. She lost the love of her life early--when I was only seven--but she has kept going and absolutely filled her life to the seams with love and service for others--often feeding an army's worth of people several nights a week and doing all sorts of other good. I admire and appreciate her so much :) I know there are so many others who also take the medicine of the heart, and thereby fill our lives with sunshine. Thank you to you heroes, known or unknown!

(image from Wikipedia)

PS - Here is a great talk about the benefits of a positive/peaceful attitude and of laughter. One good quote from it is:

"Learning to endure times of disappointment, suffering, and sorrow is part of our on-the-job training [in life]. These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are precisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character, and increase our compassion for others. Because Jesus Christ suffered greatly, He understands our suffering. He understands our grief. We experience hard things so that we too may have increased compassion and understanding for others."

Here's the link to the talk:

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=b5f44bb52a73d110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I think it relates with your post about running and how keeping the right attitude is vital to being a good runner. . . I think keeping a good attitude is vital to our life, really that is such a great talent to have then like your grandmother a person would be able to take any trial life threw his/her way and remain happy. I'm working on this :)

    ReplyDelete