Tuesday, March 31, 2009

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish: A Little Note on the Joys of Diversity



Something I love about a college campus is the amazing variety and richness of research and ideas that are buzzing around everywhere (which is in itself an example of how diversity is wonderful, but we'll get to that point later). Anyway, the BYU website's homepage features different research being done on campus. Today I noticed that the research link had a very interesting description: "A socially "distinct"--not socially "inept"--team member can shake up group dynamics in ways that lead to superior outcomes, says business professor Katie Liljenquist, co-author of a recently published paper." I read a bit of the research, and the findings show that having someone different come into a group can help to bump others out of their comfort zone just enough to start thinking outside of the box again. What was particularly interesting to me was that just last night I finished writing an article about how one of the benefits of multi-ethnic and religious nations is diversity (and how this will be lost as nations split and fracture). Diversity is everywhere.

Then I began writing on a sticky note all of the benefits of diversity. First, there is pure aesthetic value in diversity. Diversity promotes two of my very favorite things: curiosity and creativity. A few weeks ago I was at a Thai restaurant and became fascinated by their aquarium for at least a solid ten minutes. It was amazing to me! There were mini-giant clams (yes--an oxymoron), snails whose small mouths I could actually see undulating open and shut along the aquarium glass, clown fish, anemones of various shapes and colors, corals, brightly colored shrimp, and other fishes. Think of how many beautiful and amazing voices, artists, trees, stars, places, sea shells, faces, laughs, gaits, and smiles there are!

I was once at a talk and someone said, "It's obvious that God loves diversity--look at all the shapes, sizes, and colors he made us in!" I agree--diversity is all around us and it's wonderful.

Not only is it wonderful aesthetically, but functionally. As the BYU research demonstrated, diversity helps in the formation of new ideas and solutions. Also, diversity of plants can help us to gain full nutrition, to enjoy a full range of tastes, and to find new medicines. Diversity in a stock portfolio can save one from economic failure. Diversity in a marriage can keep things fresh and interesting. Diversity in sense allows for the creation of all sorts of amazing art. Diversity in social skills can help us to interact with the world.

I want to include a few interesting articles as well as a scripture at the end of this post for you to check out. The scripture is from Paul's writings and talks about how all have different gifts from God and how all of these gifts are needed. The first article is from the science section of the New York Times and talks about the importance of agricultural diversity (I have a clip of a different article that includes an interesting little story about a lemon-flavored apple, but could not find it on the net). I'll also include a link to the BYU research article and even a link to my own article that I am hoping will be published in the BYU Political Review (I know--shameless self-promotion!).

Diversity is good and beautiful both inside and outside of ourselves and the world around us. Take a moment to notice all of the different leaves you see as you walk today or the different cloud shapes in the sky or the different faces on the street--I think you'll have a little return of child-like wonder and a renewing of your appreciation for diversity :)

Loss of Genetic Diversity Imperils Crop Advances http://www.nytimes.com/1991/06/25/science/loss-of-genetic-diversity-imperils-crop-advances.html?scp=22&sq=genetic+diversity&st=nyt

Diversity in Business (BYU) http://byunews.byu.edu/archive09-Mar-liljenquist.aspx

Sierra's Article http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=b99948a09e&view=att&th=1205b191b7d0f4e5&attid=0.1&disp=vah&realattid=f_fsy6dwuk0&zw

1 Corinthians 12 http://scriptures.lds.org/1_cor/12/20-21,27#20

1 Cor. 12: 20-21 "But now are they many members, yet but one body. And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you."

*Photo is of the French Frigate Shoals Reef courtesy of Wikipedia :)

1 comment:

  1. Sooooooooo! when I first saw the title of this post (nine months ago, exactly two days after my brithday, fyi) I didn't realize that you took from somewhere else, but I think we read that little Dr. Seuss story not too long ago and when I was reading the title again today it totally clicked!!! I do remember when we went to that thai place =) it was a lot of fun to observe all the different sea creatures interact with each other. I am glad that God created diversity and that we can help each other more fully understand an idea or maybe solve an issue. or imagine how boring things would be if there was only one color, or one smell (yes, smell). I am happy that I've able to meet so many different people throughout my life, with different backgrounds, opinions, and dreams. I feel like it has really enriched my own life. =)

    Pedro

    ps- kitty, did your article ever get published in the political review?

    ReplyDelete