Saturday, March 21, 2009

Happy Are Ye



Have you ever had the satisfaction of doing what you knew was right? Not worrying about the informercialesque tone of that first statemen, I certainly hope so :). I get that feeling every time I get up and go running--it just feels good! I know that it's healthy for me. I know that it makes me more productive. I know it makes me feel better about myself. Yet, sometimes I still don't get up and go. However, it seems to be common knowledge that we all fall short of doing all that we know to be right. This is our mortal struggle.

But today I don't want to focus on struggles and failings--I want to focus on choosing to get up and do good! First, let's look at a scripture. In John 13, the Savior is talking to his disciples about how the true master is also a servant (in other words, the best leaders and individuals are those who serve and love). After explaining these things he says in verse 17, "If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them." If ye do them. And so, here we have the Savior confirming what we know is true: doing the things we know to be right brings us happiness. We feel confident and have better self-esteem. We also accomplish things, grow, and help others. Let's look at another scripture (this one is from The Book of Mormon). A great teacher, King Benjamin, is speaking to the people and teaching them of the gospel and of Christ. After speaking he says to the people, "And now, if you believe these things see that ye do them" (Mosiah 4:10). So doing good is a part of showing and acting out what we believe.

We have our own hearts, minds, and experience as well as the words of the scriptures confirming this truth: getting up and doing what is right brings happiness. And so, let's do it! However, this is sometimes easier said than done. What are some ways that we can motivate ourselves to get up and do? What are some of the best things that we can/should do?

PS- Check out Acts 10:35-38 and continue thinking on this theme.

*The graphic today is from an LDS magazine for youth called the "New Era." Check it out at lds.org!

No comments:

Post a Comment