Friday, April 3, 2009

The Bread of Life & Being Shepherds



Throughout the accounts of Jesus's life we can read about him gathering the people and teaching them and feeding them. The other day I was studying one of these accounts and something new struck me. Nearly every time when Christ desired to feed the people who had gathered around him there appeared to be not enough food--only a few loaves of bread and some fish. Yet every time Jesus was able to take the little that was visibly there and feed thousands. When Jesus feeds five thousand with five loaves and two fish as recounted in John 6 there is a very important verse. In verse 12 we read that after everyone had eaten "they were filled." Not only physically, but spiritually. The thing that stood out to me this time that never had before is that so often we might not think Jesus is enough. He tells us that he is the bread of life and that he can fill and save everyone but we might think to ourselves--how can one individual do this? How can one fill so many? Every time Jesus fed the people physically he was teaching them spiritually saying something like, "Just as I am able to feed you physically even though to you what I have doesn't seem enough, so also can I feed you spiritually though I am just one man." He can feed us in every way that we need. That's one of the miracles of Christ and it's one that is eternal--it didn't end when he ended his mortal ministry. I think that is so amazing and I appreciate the powerful symbolism of these accounts.

Talking about Christ gathering and teaching the multitudes makes me think of how this has never stopped in His Church. Today he still gathers everyone to be taught and spiritually fed and taught through his spirit and through those called to teach in His name.

This weekend, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will hold a semi-annual General Conference where we will be taught by modern-day apostles as well as by God's prophet who are called to act as shepherds in Christ's behalf. God's called prophet on the earth today is Thomas S. Monson and I very much look forward to hearing his words. I think it is so wonderful and amazing that Christ continues to feed us and gather us as his sheep. I can really feel the warmth and strength that comes into my life as I'm taught about the gospel--General Conference is sort of like New Year's in the sense that it's a good time to sit back and reflect on our lives and goals. My family is in town and we'll be able to attend conference together in Salt Lake City which should be really neat!

*Our painting today is by an artist named Lars Justinen. The painting is entitled the parable and has the caption: "'No man ever spake as this man spake' according to the Gospel of Matthew. This painting illustrates a group of diverse people gathered around Christ as He shares with them the truths about God and His love for people." I liked it because it showed Christ teaching the way I believe he would--in a loving way right up close with the people.


PS- Here's a link at which you can learn more about General Conference! http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/basic-beliefs/glossary/glossary-definition/general-conference

2 comments:

  1. Hey, just curious as to the painter of that image "The Parable." I really like it. Anyhow, neat blog; I appreciate the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep---it's by Lars Justinen, an artist in Washington state. Anyway, thanks for checking out my blog--I appreciate it! :)

    -Sierra

    ReplyDelete