Thursday, February 12, 2009

Looking on the Heart



So, I think today I will share with you a piece of Sierra Philosophy. I want to talk about little children. I don't think there are many who aren't moved by a hopeful little gappy-toothed smile or a tiny hand with dimpled knuckles reaching upward. Our hearts are moved by children. But why should this fade? In so many ways, we are all still children. We are certainly still children of God, though our wrinkles may hide it a bit. Yet, really, we are all still learning so much and in so many ways are no more mature than little ones. If this is so, why does our compassion seem to end as dimples fade? I think that if we were to remember the little child that is still so largely a part of everyone, we would find it much easier to love them and have compassion for them. Who knows where they have been in their lives? We surely don't, but God does. I don't think it would be hard even to find a piece of compassion for someone we feel is so terrible if we were presented with a photograph of them when they were two. And so, let's have a little more compassion and patience and gentleness toward each other :) Sometimes it isn't easy, but I think remembering images of hopeful little smiles will do a lot in softening our hearts and our minds. Happy Valentine's Day!

PS- This is a photo of my mommy and me when I was little :) Maybe it will make you feel more compassionate toward me?

PPS- Here is a good talk about charity, the pure love of Christ:

The Great Commandment
by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

(You can find it at lds.org or use this link: http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=d5551b3e50cf5110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1 )

No comments:

Post a Comment